I recently made this for my in-laws. I’ve made it in the past with my kids begging for me to make it again. I love how much they enjoy this dish for several reasons; 1 it’s very easy to make, 2 they eat the spinach. It might not be the healthiest dish but it’s worth every bite.
Skillet Penne and Sausage
Cooking time: Approx 30 minutes
- 1tbs Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1lb hot or sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed (recipe calls for Turkey sausage)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes (recipe calls for them to be rinsed and I like the flavor of the oil so I didn’t rinse)
- 8 oz Penne pasta (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (5oz) bag baby spinach
- 1 ounce Parmesan grated (1/2 cup)
1. Heat the oil in 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 tsp of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Sprinkle the tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and cream over the pasta. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.