It took me till I was an adult to really enjoy what the sweet potato has to offer. When I was little I wouldn’t touch the sweet potato casserole even if it had marshmallows melted all over it. The first time I really tried the sweet potato casserole was when my mother-in-law made it. She put apples in it and I figured I’d go ahead and try it.
I was very happy I did, and surprised at how yummy it was. The apples, brown sugar and spices took it to another level. I’ve been making it this way ever since.
This recipe is very forgiving. I rarely go by a strict a recipe for this one. I tend to buy more canned yams than I need. One year I didn’t have enough to my liking but it still turned out ok. I use 3 apples and found that’s a good ratio to 2-3 large cans of canned yams. You can adjust the amount of yams as you make this.
Sweet Potatoes and Apples Casserole:
- 2-3 40 oz cans Canned Yams, drained
- 3 Apples, peeled and cored and diced in 1 inch cubes. I use Gala or McIntosh
- 1/4 packed brown sugar ( I use splenda brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground or fresh nutmeg
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 bag small marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a deep, medium size baking dish, set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar, Cinnamon, nutmeg, and apples together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Slice the yams into 1/2 inch rounds or cut the larger pieces into smaller pieces. Layer half the yams into the baking dish. Add the apple mixture and top with the remaining yams. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, pour as many of the marshmallows on top that you want, and bake for another 5 minutes or until the marshmallows get a golden brown. Serve.