I love salads and next to a Caprese Salad, this is my top favorite. 1905 Salad is a Columbian Restaurant favorite. This is my families version of their salad. My Aunt Sue taught me how to make this when I was around 12 or 13 and I’ve been making it ever since. The original version has ham, olives and uses swiss cheese. I don’t put the ham or swiss cheese in mine, but you could add it to yours. If you can’t find fontinella cheese, swiss will be a fine substitute. Fontinella cheese is what I think makes this salad. You can find it around the gourmet cheese section of your local grocery, it’s shaped like in a wedge and Stella is usually the brand.
The salad goes great with any Italian dish or makes a great lunch. I could eat this anytime!
- 1-2 heads of iceburg lettuce, chopped (I usually use 1 1/2 head of lettuce. All depends on their size)
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium size tomatoes, large dices
- 8 oz Fontinella cheese, grated on large grater
- 1 cup Italian Salad dressing ( I use Wish Bone) You can add more than a cup, if needed
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbs worchestire sauce
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.
- Pour salad dressing over the top and squeeze half the lemon and add the worchestire sauce. With salad tongs, mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.