This week is going to be a slow post week. With the holiday behind me I am starting to gather myself back up and focus on getting back in the kitchen. But I do have a wonderful dish to share with you.
I got this recipe from a dear friend of mine, Cory. Awhile back his wife had posted on facebook about this awesome tortellini pasta salad he makes. Of course I had to get the recipe and see what the fuss was all about. The first thing that caught my attention was the use of tortellini instead of plain pasta. What’s great about this recipe is that it’s best made a day ahead of when you want to serve it. You can also change up the vegetables used, I didn’t use green onions but I think they would be wonderful in it. I used balsamic vinegar since it was the only one I had on hand. But Cory says he uses either red wine vinegar or balsamic. Next time I plan on trying it with the red wine vinegar to see the difference of the two. When Cory told me that the dressing is very important and to make a lot of it, he wasn’t kidding. Since you make it a day in advanced, the pasta really soaks up the dressing and takes on a lot of flavor. Don’t skip on the dressing and it wouldn’t hurt to maybe even double it and add more the next day if you wanted. The only thing I omitted from Cory’s recipe is the olives. I am keeping it in the recipe because I feel they would add a wonderful flavor, but most of the people I was serving it to do not like olives. Sad, I know.
Tortellini Pasta Salad would be perfect for your New Years Eve bash or NCAA Bowl Game watching parties. I’ll be working on a few dips this coming weekend to enjoy while we cheer on Penn State in the Outback Bowl. I’ll get those posted as soon as I can. Enjoy!
Tortellini Pasta Salad:
- 2 large packages multi color tortellini.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced into bite size pieces
- 1-2 cucumbers, diced into bite size pieces
- 1 Package grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large jar of pitted calamata olives
- 2 packages of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
- 1 package Good Seasons Italian dressing
- 1/2 cup vinegar, balsamic or red wine
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbs water
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Boil tortellini in salted water for 3-5 minutes. Do not overcook! Drain, and put into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the Good Seasoning, vinegar, water and lemon juice. Continue to whisk and slowly pour the oil, till combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl with the tortellini and drizzle over the salad dressing. Stir till everything is combined. Refrigerate at least 1 day before serving.
Source: Thank you Cory for a great recipe!